Thursday 28 August 2014

Five days in Paradise

The next five days were spent on Koh Rong, a tiny beautiful island just off the south coast of Cambodia. This post is just basically going to rant on about how much I lovevthe island and how everyone should visit it sooner rather than later.



Before I went, I was told that electricity was only on at certain times of the day. Really I should have realised there probably wasn't going to be any ATMs. Obviously I didn't, and I only realised this after I spent all my dollar on rum the first night, oh well.

Anyway this island was unreal. There were only a few bars and hostels and the rest of it was pure beaches and trees. I felt like Leo of The Beach or something. Also no one wore shoes anywhere. People were hula hooping in the sea and just basically chilling all day. I semi thought I was going to leave the island dressed in tie dye with my hair in dreadlocks, but luckily I didn't.


We spent the days literally just chilling on the beaches, swimming in the sea and jumping off the pier. It was the most chilled out place I've ever been. The people working there weren't paid in cash, but in accommodation and food. I was sort of tempted to do the same as I did have time to kill. But as much as I loved the island, 5 days was enough for me. It just didn't seem like real life! We met this one guy named Cookie (I know) and he basically arrived on the island last November and had never left. He was a character that's for sure. 



The hostels we stayed at were like shacks, especially the second one. The girls and I booked into a private room in a hostel on the pier. Half way through the night there was a massive storm. This was fucking terrifying, as it felt like the wooden frame was going to fall into the sea! 

A lot of building work was being carried out along the front, and I reckon in a couple of years to come it could become as developed as the Thai Islands, with more and more people hearing about it. One bar owner there said that people had only been visiting Koh Rong for the past year and a half. It reminded me a bit of Phi Phi Island in Thailand but 100 times smaller. In a few years it could probably be on that similar level, which is a little sad. So I recommend that if you're in SE Asia, you go there now!

I was sad to leave the island, especially when I had more time to kill in Cambodia before my parents arrive in Asia, but any longer there I would probably have turned into a massive hippy. 

After Koh Rong, I made my way up to Cambodia's capital, Phnom Penh. Which I don't rate. On this trip, I've yet to feel unsafe travelling alone. But here, I just got bad vibes so my days have really just been spent chilling by the hostel pool.

I visited the Killing Fields on the outskirts of the city. Though they are very emotional, you can't not go if you're in Phnom Penh. It was pretty horrific to discover how recent it all was.


To be honest these last few days in Cambodia have been about trying to waste time! I have basically run out of my tax rebate and my Vietnam visa doesn't start until the 30th August. I'm so looking forward to getting back to HCMC to see my friends, and saying goodbye to the city where I've spent my 2014, but I have really loved my time in beeautiful Cambodia and would definitely recommend visiting Siem Reap and Koh Rong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment