Sunday 11 May 2014

Yoga each day makes my chub stay away

Over the past year, keeping fit is something that has been important to me. When I finished university last summer, I realised I was carrying a lot more weight than I thought. My weight is something I’d never worried about, as I had always been sporty when I was younger. However being a student had made me proper chubby!

With no exercise and being a committed customer of my local tandoori, I graduated with more of a flab than fab feeling. Between August 2013 and when I flew out to Vietnam, I lived in the gym and managed to lose just under two stone. So keeping that weight off was something I wanted to continue doing on the other side of the world too.

Now at my ideal weight, I didn’t want to keep tediously pounding it at the gym and wanted to try something different to try and tone up. I became a member of “Yoga Living” (http://www.yogaliving.com.vn), a great yoga studio in the centre of the city. Though it is expensive for over here (£30 pounds a month) it’s leaving me pretty content that I’m not going to get chubby again! It’s a really chilled and friendly place and offers a free yoga brunch on Sundays. I have been going at least four times a week, so I feel the pricey membership is worth it.


There are places all across the city however that offer yoga lessons for free, and often with a free meal after! I went to one in my district at a woman’s house. It was a really relaxed atmosphere with only a handful of people in her living room. She made us a great veggie curry for afterwards, however during this session there was a good 45 minutes of chanting and meditating. This wasn’t really my thing, but it was good to try something new!

Yoga is definitely something I would love to carry on when I eventually move back to the UK. Before trying it, I thought it looked boring and not that difficult. I was so so wrong!

Besides yoga, jumping around a un air-conditioned class room all day everyday is probably enough of a workout. Living and working in Asia, you only have to be outside for 30 seconds before you break into a sweaty mess, so I’m pretty reassured I’m not going to arrive back to the UK two stone heavier.

The other day, one of my unsympathetic teenage students saw my laptop screensaver of my friends and I graduating. He said bluntly “Teacher why were you so fat?” I think there was a compliment in there somewhere.  

No comments:

Post a Comment