Friday 6 February 2015

Fallen in love with Melaka

So my two day planned Melaka trip ended up extending to eight days. It was the most relaxed and friendliest place I've been in Asia, and after the eighth day I still didn't really want to leave. Seriously, my updated life plan now involves starting up a hostel, adopting all the stray cats in the town and just eating curry everyday. The dream.

By not wanting to leave, it's meant that I haven't made it to Johor Bahru or Singapore. I'm not too gutted, there's always next time. There's no point in regretting rushing somewhere that you want to stay.

I stayed in Jalan Jalan Hostel, which has been so great. I've stayed in a heap of hostels over the past year and this is quite honestly one of the best. It's been a really sociable place to stay even though I'm currently the only one in my dorm. Paying for a dorm, staying in a private. Perfect. A local guy is also pretty helpful and tells you about things you probably would have struggled to find on your own.


On my first evening, I took a little bike ride with some people from my hostel to a floating mosque for the sunset. It's been a long time since I've ridden a bike and probably wasn't my wisest idea cycling with no lights and ignoring the fact that I needed stabilisers big time.


packed my first few days learning about the history of Melaka, going to a couple local museums, The Straits Chinese Jewellry Museum and The Baba and Nyonya House Museum. I had a little tour from a Malay lady who showed me some beautiful traditional wedding outfits and jewellery. This golden spoon was used by the bride and groom, and apparently if they are able to eat rice from it without chewing then they will have a fab relationship. If they have to chew, then I guess he ain't the one.


Theres so much history, with families in the town originating from all over Asia including China and India. This meant the food here has been bloody great - apart from this Melaka sweet treat pictured below which I was told to try. It was genuinely like chewing on a sugary bar of soap.


In between trying to be a productive traveller, it's been good to chill after busy busy Kuala Lumpur. Melaka is the perfect place to do this- hence why I've stayed so long!

On the Tuesday morning, I had a bit of a surreal one. On Monday night, some people from my hostel and I got talking to a local man who told us about the Thaipusam Hindu new year festival. He invited us to go along with him, so we thought why not.

We got up at half 5 to bike to his house to have some chai tea, and then took an hour long bike ride to the outskirts of Melaka in Batu Berendum. There was a pretty lively procession with some individuals looking in a whole world of pain. When I asked why, I was told they had 'God inside of them' and that they were in some kind of trance. 



It was an experience, and probably not one I will have again anytime soon. The colours of the outfits and in the temple were amazing! We got a free meal too, though eating a meal with a similar consistency to mash and gravy was a little tricky.


I really am enjoying my second trip around Asia. It's difficult not to compare, but I like the fact I'm not following the typical backpacking route as much as I was with Asia part 1. Maybe going to Australia and back to the western world made me miss how different Asia was to home and how great it is learning about a new culture

I've managed to do things a bit off track - speaking to more local people has resulted in doing things I could have never planned. It's been interesting too, talking to people I never normally talk to! Yesterday I had an hour long conversation with some toothless 70 year old Malaysian man who wanted to swap stories about our home countries. It was great. 

My last couple of days in Melaka I spent going to a food market, and also to a Chinese medicine bar (spot the Chinese character in the background pictured below). Celebrations in Melaka have been in full swing my whole time here for the Thaipusam Hindu Festival, and it appeared my visit was good timing.


I've had a beautiful three weeks in Malaysia, and I'll be back for sure. But it's now time for my next stop: The Philippines! Via a little airport sleepover. I've got a rough plan on where I want to go - the North of the country, up to Banaue Rice Terraces, and then down to Boracay Island. Maybe Cebu too if there's time. But no doubt my plans could change, who knows.

P.S Sorry Mum. I got my nose pierced for $3



No comments:

Post a Comment