Friday 20 February 2015

The Philippines

"I know this one guy who knew a girl who got shot in the face by her taxi driver"
"Oh yeah, when I was in Manila, I saw some guy holding a gun against someone"

I mean, hearing stories like this two days before Manila didn't really put me in the best frame of mind. I've lost count on the times I heard "wow you're brave travelling the Philippines on your own". Which wasn't ideal.

But anyway I took my flight to the country's capital, and as expected, it wasn't great. I'd planned on only staying there for one night anyway before heading up to the north to see the rice terraces. 

My hostel wasn't in a great area so I did feel a little on edge - however I was sharing a dorm with some 50 year old Japanese "dancer" who was bloody adorable. To waste my time before my 14 hour night bus I really embraced the Philippino culture and went to the cinema...twice. It past the time and I felt safe so it was a productive day. 

I took the 14 hour ride up to Sagada through the night (I forgot Asias night bus motto: death by air con and struggled to fall asleep in my t shirt/shorts combo). Many Philippinos in Manila warned me of the arctic conditions in the mountains. I was like yeahhhh I'm from England, I can handle it. I couldn't, and it was then I realised I'd actually avoided winter for the past 13 months. 


I stayed in a little homestay, which was lacking western comforts of wifi and hot water. But it was a price I had to pay for the beautiful scenery! Sagada was stunning, and I managed to do a couple of treks through Eco Valley (during which a group of 6 year olds tried to put a dead lizard in my bag). There weren't many tourists here, considering it's pretty difficult to travel to. It really was worth it though, but make sure to bring a coat or two.




then ventured over to Banaue for the next night, where this time there was no ATM. The 3 hour jeepney ride with 30 other Philippines and a dog in a box taught me the cruel way to always research on whether somewhere has cash points or not!

I tagged along with three French girls and did a two day trek of the rice terraces here, and stopping in Batad Village to sleep. It was an intense two days, with not much sleeping, not much washing and a lot of sweating. This was definitely the least developed place I'd visited, but most beautiful. The rice terraces are described as the "eighth wonder of the world" and you can definitely see why.




After a week of trekking through muddy fields, feeling like I was back in the UK rather than Asia, I was definitely craving a beach. I only had a week left of my time in the Philippines, which wasn't long enough. I took a flight to the tourist destination of Boracay. People I met in Banaue were like "Omg why would you go there it's full of tourists?". Well maybe that's what I wanted. And that's what I did. People that claim they hate tourist areas and hate when people describe them as a tourist rather than a "traveller" need a slap and to stop trying so hard.









I'm pretty gutted I couldn't get to Palawan, but knowing what I do now, I shall definitely plan ahead. 

Travelling The Philippines can be a bit of a struggle, purely because the transport is either very expensive, very long, not very frequent or you're having to sit on some locals lap for half the trip. Not for any other reason. It's a beautiful country with beautiful people, and to all the doubters: I survived. 

Unfortunately it's that time again where I've run out of money and need to start working again. I'm taking a very quick Sydney pit-stop on my way back to Melbourne, and I'm thoroughly looking forward to my seventh Air Asia flight within 5 weeks...

Asia you've been great as always. I'll see you for round three on my way back to the UK soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment