Tuesday 24 June 2014

Does this look good? No idea.

When I lived in the UK, I like to think I kept my wardrobe updated and i always loved splashing out on new outfits after payday. I knew what I liked to wear and what suited me and what didn't. Shopping was my favourite hobby. However 5 months living in Vietnam, going clothes shopping is genuinely my idea of hell. 

I first arrived here still with a love of clothes, and with everything so cheap compared to the UK, it was shopping heaven. Places like Ben Tanh Market and Saigon Square in the centre of the city have hundreds of stalls selling Forever 21, Zara and Topshop clothes which haven't made it abroad for some reason or another. And there's no set price. So if you're good at bartering you can often get a bargain. I bought a Zara dress for 120,000 once - roughly £3. So great.

Unfortunately this novelty soon wore off. These markets are right in the middle of District 1- prime tourist area.  You have to really be in the mood to shop (a bit like how I used to feel about TK Maxx) and deal with market owners literally grabbing you. Often they want insane prices for things you can barter down to a quarter of the original price. One woman wanted me to pay 450,000 dong for a bag, which I got for 100,000. Ridiculous. Though, you can see how they get the prices. Tourists are in the mindset of how I was when I first arrived - comparing prices to back home makes you feel like 450,000 dong is a bargain when it really really isn't.  

You also have to be prepared for absolute bluntness. If you're a UK size 10 or above, they won't see any issue in saying 'No. Too fat.' about that dress you actually quite liked. Those bloody tiny Asian genes. Living over here I often feel like I am the BFG.  

I went in to the markets last week to get some holiday items, as my Thailand trip is just 7 days away. I figured I hadn't actually been shopping in about 4 months! (I would go at least once a week in the UK) and I literally had no idea what to look for. It was the most unsuccessful day ever, and I know I have to go there again to find at least one nice outfit. It's going to be horrendous. 

In September however I'm going to be visiting Hoi An again, and I literally cannot wait! This is the place where it's renown for cheap custom made clothing. The shop owners just take a few measurements and have whatever item you want ready the next day. So I'm sure I will find something there. 

Thinking about it, it's probably a bit bad I've let my interest in clothes go a bit. Other than my work clothes, outfits similar to this pictured  below is what I find myself wearing on a daily basis. I'm quite enjoying that though, as I know it's just for this period of my life. I know when I eventually return home I'll get back into the shopping swing again... I might just need a little guidance!





No comments:

Post a Comment