Wednesday 11 June 2014

Life is one big holiday

So last Friday I decided to move from District 7 to Go Vap District, to another house my company pay for. It's on the other side of the city, and a bit further away from the main tourist area and where we go out. However, I'm now living with the people I want to live with, as my old house was feeling pretty empty after everyone going back to England for summer. It's a lot more sociable and I even have my own window in my room... No more bat cave!

That was on the Friday and then last Sunday I took a 30 minute flight to Phu Quoc, a Vietnamese Island which is south of Cambodia. As I have limited dong (really I shouldn't have gone on this little holiday, but whatever) I booked into a hostel which cost me £4 a night. I wasn't expecting much. I know I was paying pennies but I wasn't expecting to see this on my first day...





So yeah, that was a bit weird, but the hostel was actually pretty wicked and my time there was a lot of fun.

The first day I spent on the beach, which was literally a one minute walk away. It was beautiful and exactly what I needed to try and get some sort of base tan for Thailand. However, of course I was the dumbest woman and fell asleep...meaning I now share a strong resemblance to a tomato. Fab.


That evening I went to a little restaurant where I was actually the only customer! It was low season in Phu Quoc so the whole island seemed pretty quiet. I ended up eating with the family who ran the restaurant and the food was delicious!

The next couple of mornings, I woke up to an absolute monsoon. As the hostel felt almost like some sort of shack/shed, I was convinced the roof was going to fall through but it was all good. The weather cleared by midday which allowed me to explore the rest of the island. I met some people at my hostel, and we rented motorbikes and drove around the island stopping off at loads of beautiful beaches. It was a great way to see Phu Quoc. For just over £2 a day to rent, i definitely recommend doing it if you're ever visiting the island.        
                                                                                           




Each evening the guys at my hostel and I went to this Vietnamese street seafood restaurant. I haven't really tried much seafood, as I was a fussy kid when I was younger. But everything I had was so good and at 30,000 dong each (under a pound) I was not complaining. After this, we just spent each evening drinking copious amounts of rum and watching films at the hostel. There wasn't really a nightlife on the island, which was fine by me as I was craving a chilled couple of days.


Phu Quoc was genuinely one of the most beautiful places I've ever travelled to. I wish I'd maybe booked one extra night so I could explore the south of the island, but work was calling. I flew back to Saigon and arrived home to a broken shower. Nothing says welcome home from your holiday better than that!

I now have two and a half weeks of work before I head out to Thailand. Life does seem like one big holiday at the moment, and I love it! When else in life am I going to able to go to such beautiful places at such a low price? My return flight to Phu Quoc, three nights accommodation and airport transfers cost me the same price as this Topshop dress. £50. 

Life is pretty sweet.



No comments:

Post a Comment