Thursday 19 June 2014

This time last year

I sometimes find it interesting to stop and have a think about what I was doing on the exact day this time last year. Having gone the typical 'school, sixth form, university' route, it's never seemed much different. The only differences between the years really being the amount of studying I was doing, my change in hair colour and the extra weight I'd put on.

But sitting on a small plastic chair on the side of a road in Vietnam, eating pork and rice for my breakfast (I'm gagging for some coco pops) it appears that my "this time last year" reflection could not be anymore different.

On June 19th 2013, I was preparing for a graduate communications job with the NHS. I'd got through to the second round, and there were two of us going for one position. With my trouser suit on, answers prepared and feeling so nervous I thought I was going to shit myself, I travelled down to London for the second time.

It went really well, but unfortunately the job went to the other candidate who had more experience. I was pretty devastated. It was a position I really wanted - and would definitely still want. But that's life - my regular response to things that don't go according to plan.

I know it sounds so cliche, but everything does happen for a reason. If I had got that position, I would have moved to London and set in to the 9-5 routine that so many of my friends have. I definitely wouldn't be teaching in Vietnam. Nor would I have been making all these plans to go to other countries, or would I have met such great people. I probably wouldn't have seen a dog riding a motorbike either (great photo skills Heather).



If someone would have told me this is what I'd be doing in a years time I would have laughed and said yeah alright then. 

There is a part of me that wishes I would have tried a little harder in finding a graduate job. I see my friends doing so well at the moment and part of me wishes I'd gone with that route straight away too. But then I think, I've got the rest of my life to do that. I'm only 22 and I feel I want to see the world before I settle down and put my foot on the career ladder.

The tefl qualification gives me the skills that (I hope) will make me look appealing to a potential employer. It also allows me to live and work all over the world. Which is obviously pretty cool.

My life plan seems to change on a weekly basis at the moment. I know that I'll be heading back to the UK at some point next year, but for how long I don't know. If I can find a graduate job in something I truly want to do I would definitely stay. But if not, I would definitely consider teaching again in another country. 

Who knows... on June 19th 2015 I may be doing something completely different to what I predict, which is pretty exciting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment