Wednesday 11 June 2014

The Solo Traveller

Travelling alone can be a very daunting prospect. The pressure of organising everything yourself, the lonely airport times and the lack of people around when things go wrong are sometimes not ideal. However, I'm here (along with some others) to tell you why it could probably be the best thing you decide to do.

My Experience

Before coming out to Vietnam, I had never really done much travelling by myself. In summer 2012, I flew out to San Francisco by myself but then met up with a group of 15 and travelled the width of the country in a bus. Though I had such a great time and saw so many places, I couldn't help but feel I wanted to spend longer in certain places. However there were 15 other peoples decisions to consider too, so I couldn't really do what I truly wanted. Spending 24/7 with the same people for a month got pretty intense at times too. Don't get me wrong I had a once in a lifetime experience doing that trip, but if I was to do it again, I would maybe do parts of it as a solo traveller.

During my time off from teaching, I've managed to travel to other parts of the country. I visited Nha Trang during my brothers visit, and have also spent time in Hoi An and recently Phu Quoc by myself.

Travelling to Hoi An and Phu Quoc alone meant I could do what I wanted. I if wanted to spend all day at the beach I could, or if I wanted to take a bike tour I could. I wasn't restricted by someone else's mood that day or whether they wanted to do something else. You can also be flexible with time and how long you want to spend in one place.

It also built my confidence. I stayed in dorm rooms in hostels on each visit, and being alone means you will literally talk to anyone. You meet so many interesting people that you may have not spoken to if you were travelling with a boyfriend or group of friends. You could have completely new experiences because of the people you meet. 

Of course I can see the benefits of travelling with others too. In Hoi An, I had a slight drama getting back to Saigon and I thought I was potentially stranded half way up the country. I also had no phone. This situation would have been less stressful if I had someone with me.

Another con to travelling alone is taking photos. There's only so far your arm can stretch to include you and a scenic view. If there's no willing person around to take your photo it could be an issue. Though this problem is quickly resolved with the invention of the self facing camera. Praise The Lord.

Lucy's Experience

One of my oldest friends, Lucy, is probably one of the most well travelled people I know! She's been to South America, China, all over Europe and Vietnam either on her own, with a boyfriend or with friends. She explains the pros and cons to being a solo traveller.

"Travelling by myself has taught me to be truly independent and how to enjoy my own company. You have to be 100% responsible for your safety, money and you have to trust yourself... Which is a good thing to do!"

"In my experience, I think you're less likely to meet as many people, as pairs/couples seem to be more intimidating than single travellers. You're maybe less likely to forge long-lasting friendships because you don't have the need to confide in a new friend if you already have a travel buddy"







There are obviously cons to anything in life, including travelling alone. Lucy explains how for her, security was the main thing.

"Having spent time travelling alone in South America, you can sometimes feel a bit more vulnerable if you aren't travelling with someone else. In a pair/couple you have a shared responsibility for things like money, decision-making and your own safety. Also if you're sick there's someone to look after you"

"I feel happiness is only true when shared with someone and it's lovely to make memories for the future if you're travelling with a friend or partner. You get to share the excitement of planning the trip,
and remembering it afterwards"

Rachel and Heather's Experience

Friends I've made in Vietnam also express how travelling alone has its benefits.

During our time off, Rach recently spent a week in Ha Noi and then travelled across to Ha Long Bay. "I met and spoke to different people from all over the world that I wouldn't speak to normally. Its definitely made me more independent". She is also a classic example of the selfie. Haha love you Rach.





Between teaching in South Korea for a year and arriving in Vietnam last October, Heather travelled Australia and New Zealand by herself.

"I love being able to make my own decisions and not having to please anyone else. Having the freedom to do what you want is the best thing about travelling".

So if you've just finished university or fancy a break in your career, and none of your friends are in the position to come with you - It's not the end of the world, it's your chance to go see the world! So go for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment