Sunday 15 June 2014

#ExpatProblems

There are things that can make life as an expat in Vietnam a bit of an issue sometimes. I've come up with 15 of these daily struggles and have decided to express my thoughts. A bit like blogging therapy I guess. Apologies in advance for the rant. 


1. "Motorbike, marijuana?"

I'm already on a motorbike. Why would I want to get off my own bike to get on to yours and pay you to take me to the place where I was already driving to. Thanks for the offer though.

2. Hello teacher being shouted at you in the street

Just because I'm white doesn't make me a teacher. But yes, hello I am a teacher.

3. Cadbury's and tea

I thought I'd gone to heaven when I found Cadbury's chocolate in the local supermarket by my new house. Yes it's in a cadburys wrapper but oh my god no it doesn't taste the same. Also can someone from home please send me some PG Tips, Lipton isn't doing it for me.

4. Being the only white girl at your local pho place

I've had a long day, I just want to eat my noodle soup in peace. Can the whole restaurant please stop staring at me? Many thanks.

5. Time difference

Something that I will never get used to. Six hours ahead means I can only Skype my friends and family on their days off. 

6. Coronation street

I'm not ashamed. Last thing I knew, Tina had run off because Peter wanted to stay with Carla, and Roy was in a whole world of troubles. RIP Hayley Cropper. Also apparently Ken Barlow is coming back? Such a nightmare not knowing what's going on in Weatherfield that's for sure.

7. Breaking into a sweat one minute after leaving the house

Being from the UK, I have, and never will, get used to this heat. Luckily, my grade 1s are bloody lovely and say I look beautiful even if I rock on up to class dripping with sweat. I never knew before living over here that you can actually sweat from your knees? 

8. Stealing toilet paper on nights out because you're too poor to buy your own

Oh no. That's probably just my own problem, not an expat problem. Moving on...

9. Missing out on special occasions

This is the worst thing. You so wish that you could pay your family and friends a surprise visit, but a sign with cute Vietnamese kids will have to do instead. Works a treat.

10. Dry shampoo 

Is there anywhere in Asia that sells this? I need it.

11. Wine

Refusing to pay 60,000 for a glass of wine because that is just too much dong - it's just over a pound.

12. Monsoon season

Leaving your house in the rain, and then arriving at your school soaked expecting other teachers to be the same. Oh no, it hasn't rained in this district has it.

13. Saliva 

The Vietnamese love a good spit. Especially when they're on their bike in front of you and the wind is blowing in your direction. Yum.

14. Socks

My housemate came up with this, and oddly this is a big deal. We would love to just put a pair of socks on under our shoes. However, wearing these with flip flops is just not going to work.

15. Black make up wipes

There's nothing quite like coming in from a long day and wiping black off your face with a make up wipe. Mmmm pollution. 



No comments:

Post a Comment